Today one of my students didn't close up their water bottle (again!!) and knocked over their water onto their desk, thus spilling it all over their work (again!!!), for something like the 5th time in a week. I wasn't really upset about it, it was easy to clean up, but my first reaction was still to say, "how many times have I told you .... when are you going to learn?!?".
And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I swear, sometimes God must be ripping out His hair screaming at me, "how many times have I told you ... when are you going to learn?!?" I am JUST like that child that has been told something over and over, refuses to listen, doesn't believe that I know what I'm talking about, and doesn't do what I have asked. Apparently it's a lesson that I need to have beat into me over and over before I will get it. Apparently I have to fall on my face and fail a million times before I will understand; just like this poor kid in my class that can't remember to put the lid on their water bottle.
How many times have I told you:
...I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you - Joshua 1:5
When are you going to learn:
"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
In other words, "How many times have I told you that it will be okay and I will be here to help you through it? When are you going to learn that I know what I am doing?"
I am counting my blessings this week. Things are far from perfect, and far from what I wanted, but as it turns out (which should hardly be shocking, but of course still is), what I thought was the worst thing that could ever happen to me, has become the exact thing that has kept me from something that would have been far worse (vague, I know, but this is a public blog and I'm a teacher so we deal). Patty pointed out to me that God must have been looking out for me, and she was right. While moving to second grade wasn't the best thing in the world (and honestly, still isn't the greatest), it turns out that being moved before school started was really a blessing in disguise.
Now, if I could only learn to listen in the first place ....
... chances are about as good as my 7 year old remembering to put the lid on her water bottle tomorrow. haha
No comments:
Post a Comment