I believe that God answers prayers. Sometimes prayers aren't always answered in the way that we want them to be, but that doesn't mean that they go unnoticed. It took me a long time, but I finally figured out that the point is not to pray for the things you want, it's praying for God to help you along the path He has set out for you. It's praying for HIS purposes, not yours. Since I really began praying this way, with a heart for God, rather than selfishly, I have noticed a lot more answered prayers. And rather than be upset about prayers are I feel are unanswered, or answered in a way that I don't care for, I feel a sense of peace (that I guarantee is not from me) and am starting to be able to see the greater good in the way those prayers are answered. Be it big things or small things I trust that God is listening to me. When I pray for something that aligns with His purpose for my life, it is always answered.
Last weekend I met up with an old friend on Saturday night and stayed out too late. When I got home I had trouble falling asleep because even though it was so late, I was still wound up from being out. I knew I had church in the morning at 8am. I knew that if I set my alarm to get up to go to church I was going to get 5 hours of sleep tops (and that was assuming I fell asleep immediately when I laid down, which never happens). I decided I couldn't do it. I knew that alarm was going to go off, I was going to be mad at it, and I would just reset it to make sure I was up in time for 11am Sunday School. So I didn't set my alarm for 7, I set it for 10 instead. It wasn't that I didn't want to go to church, I just knew there was no way I was going to make it. Before I went to sleep though, I prayed. I prayed that if He wanted me there, that He would wake me up. I told Him I really did want to go, I just didn't think I could do it on my own. I asked Him to wake me.
The next morning, as I was dreaming, I distinctly heard a voice calling me to wake up. I opened my eyes and looked at the clock. It was 7:00 on the dot. The exact time I needed to set my alarm for in order to get up for early church. And guess what? I didn't feel tired; I wasn't dragging; I felt extremely well rested and energized. 4 1/2 hours of sleep and I was ready to face the day as though I had 8 or more hours. And when I got to church, I found that the messages in both the service and my ABF group were EXACTLY what I had been needing to hear given the way things had been going in my life.
It may be a small thing, but there is not a doubt in my mind that God answered that prayer for me. I didn't wake up on my own, randomly early in the morning, to then go to church to hear a message that was specifically tailored for me. That was all Him.
God answers prayers. That may be a small thing, but knowing that he listens my small prayers gives me faith that he listens to the big ones as well.
Beautiful story Kerri! It makes me feel like I might need to get my faith back in check.
ReplyDelete