Wednesday, September 16, 2009

veggie "pasta"

I've started a number of different posts this past week, yet none of them have been finished or posted yet. I blame it on a lack of time, and the fact that when I do have ANY time at all that I'm not doing school stuff all I want to do is nap. Hopefully I'll get a few of those finished in the next few days and you will have some things to read.

In the meantime I thought I would share with you what I made for dinner tonight. If you like vegetables, this was fresh, yummy, filling, and extremely healthy. It's a whole recipe made out of only vegetables, AND you don't even use any oil or butter to cook it! Seriously, how can you go wrong here?!? So here is my veggie "pasta":


You could have used any pasta you wanted for this and just made the veggie sauce to go on top, but to make it healthier you can substitute thin zucchini strips for the pasta (which is obviously what I did).

I didn't really follow a recipe exactly, I just went with a basic idea I found and made up my own quantities. All you have to do is put some chopped onion in a sauce pan with a few tablespoons of water, and cook until it starts to brown. Then add chopped eggplant and cook for about 8 minutes until the eggplant is almost cooked. Add some chopped up yellow squash, red bell pepper, and garlic, and cook about 2-3 more minutes. Add some canned fire roasted tomatoes, a little pepper, and some fresh basil. Cover and let simmer on low for about 10 minutes so the flavors can blend together. While that is simmering, julienne cut some zucchini. Place the zucchini on a plate, add some sauce on top, and eat! yum! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Kerri, that looks delicious! I will have to try that out sometime. I like the idea of zucchini strips because I can't really have that many carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely try it! It was SO easy and yummy :) You could really add in whatever veggies you like too so you could change it up a bit if you don't like the ones I used.

    ReplyDelete