Sunday, September 20, 2009

Coconut Cupcakes

It's Sunday, and you know what that means ...

CUPCAKE TIME!


I know I'll have sort of a limited audience with these, because it's one of those flavors you either love or you hate, but these coconut cupcakes are delicious and SO moist! The batter itself was delicious (trust me, I could have just had that with a spoon and been a happy camper), and the frosting is the same light meringue type frosting I made for the snickerdoodle cupcakes, but it has some coconut extract added in. And of course, as you can see, they are sprinkled with shredded coconut. YUM! If you like coconut, you HAVE to try these! I promise, you won't be disappointed!

It has come to my attention that some of you may want the recipes to some of these cupcakes, so I'll start posting them. If you wanted the recipe for one I already made, just leave a comment and I can get that recipe to you as well.

Coconut Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
6 oz (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.

Reduce speed to low. Mix remaining wet ingredients in a bowl. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.

Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 16 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.

Frosting Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
6 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Frosting Directions:
Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with the water and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling, without stirring, until syrup reaches 230 degrees.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer running add remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, beating to combine.

As soon as the sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, remove from heat. With mixer on medium-low speed, pour syrup down side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Raise speed to medium-high; whisk until mixture is completely cool and stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Add coconut extract, mixing to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment