Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Second Grade Writing

I have literally been living under a mountain of papers that need to be graded or checked. It is unbelievable how quickly I get behind in grading! I am incredibly bad about checking any papers the day the kids do them, and the result is a very large mound of papers by the weekend. If I don't get them all done over the weekend, that just adds to the pile for the next week, and so on and so forth.

Today I decided I needed to tackle some of this paper mountain. My living room floor had basically become inaccessible, so it was time. I was grading some of my kids' writing and I came across this paper. This student speaks English as a second language. Just tell me this is not the cutest writing ever (spelling corrected to increase the readability for non teachers):

"My dad is a China people and me too. We just have a little money because we are new to this world. We speak Chinese. Some people are english and some people are chinese peoples."

Too cute!

Something else I really love about kids is when they get words wrong, but don't know it. Today one of my kids called me over and we had this conversation:

student: how to you spell "jippy"
me: I don't think jippy is a word, can you use it in a sentence?
student: you know, they got here in a "jippy"
me: oh, you mean jiffy? They got here in a jiffy.
student: no, not jiffy. jippy. really fast; in a jippy!

They continued to argue with me back and forth for a few minutes. They were convinced that the word was "jippy". Oh I love kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment