It's been sort of a rough 4 months, and I feel like it has been very hard to remember what I am thankful for many days because I am so overwhelmed with the things that haven't worked out as I wanted. But, what is Thanksgiving for if not for forgetting all that bad stuff and reflecting on the blessings in life ... and honestly, there are many. I am truly very blessed. I've been thinking this over for a few days, and here are the things I have come up with that I am thankful for this Thanksgiving:
- my church: having found a place to worship, and get involved has made a tremendous difference in my life over the past 6 months. I am thankful to go every Sunday and praise and learn about God with a congregation full of people who love Jesus just as much as me. I am thankful for the ladies in my bible study who encourage me, inspire me, and pray for me. I am thankful for the ladies I work with while teaching Sunday school, and the opportunity to share my love of Jesus with His precious little lambs each week.
- old friends, new friends, and mended friendships that were once thought to be broken beyond repair: What a difference a year makes. I guess along with this I am thankful for my friends' ability to forgive ... even when I make mistakes, however monumental they might be, I am thankful that with time things can go back to the way they were, and in some cases may even be better than before. I am thankful to have so many friends that have known me so well for so long. I don't have to explain myself to these people, because many of them know me as well as I know myself. They have been there through it all. They know how I feel before I voice it. They are there to laugh with me when life is good, and sit and cry with me when it is not.
- my family: Again I must say, what a difference a year makes. Things have come a complete 180 since the holidays last year. I am thankful for the relationship I have with my mom and my dad as individuals. I am thankful that they are there to lend an ear when I need it and that they support me in all my ventures. I am thankful that my brothers, who were once such a pain in the butt to me, have turned out to be amazingly wonderful young men whom I adore. They have wonderful hearts and it makes me smile to be around them.
- I am incredibly thankful for a beautiful seven year old girl whose bold love and faith in Jesus reminded me what life is all about and set me back on the path I had strayed from. God used this wonderful little girl and her pure and simple faith to draw me back to His side. And I have to tell you, because of this child, my life is forever changed ... and most definitely for the better!
- which leads me to the last thing on my list; I am thankful for my savior Jesus Christ. I am thankful that He is ever loving and forgiving. No matter how many times I fall flat on my face He picks me up so I can continue on. He loves me in spite of all my shortcomings. He knows my every thought, and yet still, He loves me. He died for me; is that not an amazing kind of love? I can go about my life here knowing that this is not my home. I can look forward to a day when I will be with him in heaven for eternity. If that isn't something to be thankful for then I don't know what is.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
~ Psalm 107:1
So, what are you thankful for? Take some time to count your blessings today, and if you feel so inclined, share them with me. I would love to hear what you are thankful for this year.
Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment