Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fireflies

One of the speakers at the Women of Faith Conference was Patsy Clairmont, and let me just say that if you ever get a chance to hear this lady speak, don't pass it up. She was absolutely wonderful! She is this tiny (and I literally mean tiny, she's under 5 feet tall), animated (I'm talking dancing all over the stage animated), hilarious (about to make me pee my pants funny), older lady, with a lot to say. She was such an inspiration! After she spoke, I felt compelled to go out and change the world ... and that says a lot.

Patsy talked about fireflies. Think about what a firefly does. It is a small speck of light an otherwise dark sky. Do you remember the way you felt about fireflies as a kid? There was something magical about them wasn't there? The way they would twinkle as they lit up in the darkness. All you ever wanted was to contain the light. How many times did seeing a firefly bring a smile to your face? Can't you just picture your little 5 year old self dancing off through the yard trying to catch one?

Patsy compared our lives to fireflies. We are God's little fireflies, let out in the world to bring small flashes of light to dark places. We are charged with shining God's light. Stop and think about that for a second ... it's a lofty task. How is one person supposed to fill the world with God's light? It's simple really, you just have to start small. You don't have to fill the whole world with light, just the corner you are living in. And how do you do this? By loving on others, making people smile or laugh, going out of our way to do nice things for people, by putting others above yourself. When you think about it, it's really not all that difficult. You can bring happiness and hope to others by doing simple things to brighten up their day. You can be a light to everyone you come in contact with.

Here's the thing about fireflies: they wouldn't be quite so magical and special if there was no darkness for them to light up. The same is true of us. If we are going to be a light to others, if our job is to give people hope and light up their lives with smiles, there has to be some darkness in order to have the greatest impact. You can't appreciate the light without the dark. And that darkness, it's all around. It's everywhere you look. Whether you know it or not, everyone is dealing with some darkness in their lives. Why not try making it a point to shed some light into those dark places. Help someone out, smile at people you walk by, or take care of a friend in need. The light won't always look the same, but it always has the same effect.

This message really seeped into me this past weekend. I felt called to start living my life as a firefly, rather than moping around and focusing on myself. Each morning this week I have climbed out of bed with the thought in my head that I was going to spread light throughout the day ... and then I have gone out and done it! And my goodness, what a difference!! At work I have made it a point to spend less time worrying about my stress, and more time loving on the kids. And oh have we laughed this week. We have taken time out of our busy day (I assure you, it's very busy!) and just giggled. I can see a difference in the kids; their eyes twinkle when I sit down beside them and let them invite me into their 7 year old world. The kids are telling me silly stories and we are spending time laughing and smiling. It's wonderful!

And, in typical God fashion, He has let me know that my efforts are not in vain. I have randomly received multiple affirmations this week that what I do makes a difference and matters. And in my efforts to brighten other people's lives ... my own life has become much brighter. I am happy to get up in the morning again. I look forward to laughing with my second graders again. I love my life again. What a blessing! In making an effort to shine my light, I have been more open to receiving light from others. What a concept ...

It's funny how following God's will can be a blessing in your own life. Funny, but not at all surprising. That's the way it is supposed to be right? If only it didn't always take a smack on the head to figure that out.

Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven.
~ Matthew 5:16

Why not make it a point to be a light to someone this week? Make someone smile; bring them a glimmer of hope. You may be surprised what you get back in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment