Thursday, November 12, 2009

Awesome day!

Today was such a wonderful day! In my classroom it was one of those days where the kids just listened, learned, and did everything exactly like I asked ... For example:

During our reading block the kids were so focused on doing their work during daily 5 that I was able to pull groups the full time, was not interrupted once, and the kids I worked with were able to practice new skills effectively. I love when that happens!

Then during writers workshop I was teaching the kids how to "hook" the reader by starting their stories with an exclamation. I shared examples of published authors that had used this strategy and challenged the kids to try it out in their work. Every day I teach them something good writers do and challenge them to try it. They aren't required to though, it's just a challenge to help them improve their writing. Today, I had multiple kids that did it effectively on the first try! YAY! They listened to me, were pumped up about it, and then tried it successfully.

In math we took a test over unit 6. 7 kids made a 100, 13 more made an A, and 1 made a B. Only one student needs re-teaching over the concept. That just rocks!

Then after school one of the parents of a student invited me to a celebration for their son for completing this academic program he has been involved in for the past 6 months. He has worked SO hard and has shown so much progress as a result (I had him last year and this year so I can really tell). I got there thinking there were going to be a number of people (it was sort of like a graduation) but then I realized it was actual this intimate family celebration. It warmed my heart that they had wanted me to come be a part of that. I love that kid to death. I am so proud of him. He seemed so proud of himself that it really just made my day!

And finally I got to meet up with my favorite kid in the world and her mom for dinner. I hadn't seen her since before school started and have been missing her like crazy! I totally miss seeing that kid in my classroom every day. It was wonderful to see them and catch up. I had such a nice time. It was a great end to a great day!

To make matters even better, I have tomorrow off to go to the Women of Faith conference. I have been looking forward to this for months and just can't wait! I feel like right now more than ever, I really need it. Should be a nice boost to get me through the rest of the semester. I'm sure I'll fill you in on the details after I get home on Saturday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment