Monday, May 2, 2011

Success story of the year

Just have to share my success story of the year!

I have a kid in my class that has struggled ALL year with reading. She came in reading on a level 1, and by January was still only barely reading on a level 3 (this is a kindergarten level, actually, a low kindergarten level). I had met with ALL sorts of people about her, was working with her every day, got her hooked up with the reading specialist for daily help, and pretty much had done everything I could think to do. This child seemed doomed to repeat first grade, she just wasn't getting it at all. In fact, as of a month ago she still wasn't sure of all her letters and sounds.

All of a sudden, about 3 weeks ago, things started clicking for her. It was like one day she woke up and suddenly things I was teaching her started to stick in her head. It was still not looking promising though, because she had so far to go and only a few short weeks to do it.

Today, I pulled her for her end of the year reading assessment. She read a level 14! SHE'S GOING TO SECOND GRADE!! I may have cried a little when she finished the book. She may have looked at me like I was crazy, but oh well. I can't believe she did it. By the skin of her teeth, she pulled it off. I am SO incredibly proud of her! I'm hopeful that since things just started clicking she will just take off from here and be successful in second grade. Only time will tell, but I seriously just cannot believe it. She has worked SO hard. So proud!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment