Friday, April 29, 2011

Prince/Princess Day!

I think if I put this on facebook I might lose some facebook friends, but I really wasn't all that into the royal wedding. Sure I like myself a good wedding, but other than wanting to see a few pictures, I could really have cared less. I did not wake up in the middle of the night, I did not make any special treats, and I did not join anyone for a viewing party. However, one of my teammates was very into it, and when we got to school this morning she was so excited about it she wanted to come up with some fun activities we could incorporate into our day. Given that the royal wedding was today, and we are in the middle of our fairy tale unit, prince and princess day was born!

This morning, after getting our spelling test out of the way, the girls made glittery tiaras and the boys made glittery crowns. After they dried, I walked around stapling the band on each one and declaring "I crown you princess ____" or "I crown you prince ____" oh my gosh did the kids LOVE it! They were giggling up a storm and were so excited about it. We had a nice little discussion about how a prince or princess would need to behave since others look up to them and are always watching them, and talked about how they had to have prince and princess behavior in order to wear their crown at school today. All day, for the kids who got to wear the crowns, I referred to them as prince or princess. "Princess ___ could you please bring me the glue" etc. They totally got into it!

After lunch they wrote stories about themselves as a prince or princess and I got some of the best writing they've ever done! I was so impressed! They then got to design their own castle and glue their work to the picture. I'm telling you, some of the best work they've done all year! Great stories about princes fighting off dragons to save the princess and then whisking them away to a castle. Such great imaginations. :) Then, this afternoon we had a little geography lesson and talked about where London is etc. The kids made flags and recorded information learned about where the prince and princess live.

I taught the girls how to do the princess wave, so as they left they paraded through the hallway wearing their crowns, waving their flags, and doing their princess waves. So cute!

Turned out to be a really unexpected fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment