Friday, May 20, 2011

Field Day

For the past three years, field day has been one of my favorite days of the year at school. This year however, for reasons which I think have been made clear already, I was NOT looking forward to it. All in all the day turned out fine, and the kids were no more bad than normal, because at least were allowed to scream like crazies all day. There were some VERY memorable moments though:

On the way out to the "opening ceremony" for field day I was walking next to a student in Michelle's class. Out of nowhere he busts out with this awesome quote of the day: "Ms. McCormack, there is nothing that could make this day any better! Well, except if there were girls in bikinis everywhere and we were running around like horses" hahahahahaha

After everything that happened with poison control yesterday you would not believe this next story. All the kids start telling on a boy in my class saying he has candy in his pocket. Upon further inspection we find that he has pills in his pocket! He said he found them on the floor at home and thought he would bring them to school. Um he actually brought drugs to school! Keep in mind what happened yesterday ... omg crazy!

One of my students got caught shoving another student out of line, so I calmly told her she needed to sit out a round before she would be allowed to play again. She then decided to throw a monsterous baby fit. I calmly explained to her that she had two choices: 1. stop crying, miss one round, and play again or 2. continue to throw a fit and be done for the entire day. I walked away so she could make her choice and when I looked back her mom was putting her back in the line telling her it was okay, she could play! Um, wtf?!? I'm a little scared of the mom, but I went back over and told her she had time out. She said "but my mom said I could play". Um no. I'm the teacher, you listen to me. sorry dear. Seriously, what parent does that?!?!

At the end of the games we got to have snow cones at the front of the school. The kids all got their snow cone, then sat in the shade to eat and rest for 15 minutes. While they were sitting we look up and notice that a number of kids are holding packages of gushers, and lots of kids start to complain. Turns out one of my kids' parent had brought 18 packages of gushers and was letting her child choose his favorite people in first grade to give them to just then. Um, number one WE DON'T TAKE FOOD FROM STRANGERS (do we remember the drug talk yesterday?!?) and number two why would someone hand out treats to some but not all. Oh geez!

And to end the day we had to have one more drama moment. 5 kids in my class had picked up their yearbook today. They left them in the room while we went to Michelle's room to watch the movie. When we came back they had 15 minutes they were allowed to go to the other first grade classes to get kids to sign it if they wanted. Well, one of their yearbooks was gone. We searched her desk, searched her backpack, and I asked at least 3 times if anyone knew where it was. Of course no one said anything. I finally tell them all to open their backpacks as I am going to have to search them since someone has clearly stolen it. Sure enough, one little girl comes over with it just then and says "um, I was just looking at it" um no, you were not just looking at it. You just pulled it out of your backpack because you freaking STOLE it. oh my god. these kids are completely nuts!

Every day you think nothing could surprise you more, then something happens like a kid brings drugs to school haha. Wonder what Monday has in store ...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness kerri! Your 1st graders are so crazy! I can't imagine dealing with this day to day... reminds me of the ER or psych rotations, you never know what to expect. At least it makes for entertaining posts? Haha. Almost summer, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh my gosh they are just insane! It has been such a crazy year; can't say I've had one like this before. 7 1/2 more days. If every day is crazier than the day before, I almost can't wait to see what is in store this last week hahaha!

    ReplyDelete