Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Treasure

This verse was really laid on my heart a few months ago and it's resurfaced a number of times since then so I've done a lot of thinking about it:

Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

What does my "treasure" consist of? That's simple: time and money. And where is my treasure? That one wasn't as easy to answer, and the answer didn't really make me feel very good. My time and money are mostly used for selfish purposes. For the most part, I spend my money on a bunch of things for myself that I don't need, and I spend my time doing a whole lot of nothing. When I really stopped to think about this, I felt awful inside. If I am hoarding all my treasure for myself does that mean that is where my heart is too? Am I really that self centered? Is that really the most important thing in my life? It shouldn't be.

What should my time and money be spent on then? Where do I ultimately want my heart to be? That's easy: with Jesus. If He is really the center of my life, and if I am really living my life for Him, then my treasure should be a representation of that. When I stopped to really think about this I discovered this disconnect between what I want my life focus to be, and what it was in reality. Something had to be done about this.

So, I started thinking. What were some things I could do to make sure that I am investing my treasure in places that put Jesus into the center of my life. The first was easy. I needed to start giving money to my church. I don't think it's necessary to talk much about this because it really isn't anyones business but mine what I give, but the point is, I made a conscious effort to start giving much more. It was a bit scary for me at first because I've never dropped more than a $20 in the offering plate, but when it came down to it, I decided that I would much rather use my money to further the kingdom of God, than to buy something stupid for myself. It was scary at first, but now, months later, I'm not even sure why. I have the money to give, I'm not scraping by. God has provided much for me and that is a pretty simple and straightforward way to give back to Him. I feel like my money is being used for a purpose now, and every week I smile when I drop that check into the offering plate.

Around Christmas it is SO easy to find ways to help others around you who are not as fortunate. I have had more fun picking out gifts for children to donate, through Toys for Tots at school and Gifts of Love at church, than anything! My heart is so full knowing that I am doing my part to help make some less fortunate children have a special Christmas. It started with just one gift, but I felt so good after buying that first one it sort of snowballed. Let's just say I've bought a lot of gifts at this point ... haha! It makes me very happy to think about some kids opening those things I purchased on Christmas, and smiling. That's what it's all about. This is the first Christmas I think I have the right kind of spirit. Sure I'm good at Christmas spirit, I love the lights, the music etc., but this year, more than anything, I feel like I've finally got the real point.

So, what about my time? I noticed recently that I have become very lazy. When I leave work, I don't want to do anything but lay on the couch and watch tv or read. What's the point of life if you aren't living it? So again I had to stop and think, what could I do with my time that would have a positive impact on those around me? I mean, isn't that what it's all about; showing God's love to others through our actions?

So, I started signing up to volunteer for whatever I could. Here's what I've got so far; it's not much, but it's only the beginning:

When a situation came up recently to give a little time to mentor a child who I absolutely adore, I jumped right on it. Why can't I give up some time every week to love on and encourage a kid who could benefit from it? There is no reason why I couldn't ... so now I am.

I volunteered at the Sugar Land Town Square Christmas tree lighting event a few weeks ago and spent 3 (freezing cold!) hours passing out jingle bell bracelets to children. I watched child after child's eyes light up and twinkle as I offered them a free bracelet. As cold as I was, it was worth every freezing cold minute to get to share God's love to those children in such a simple way.

Last weekend, I volunteered at the Second Mile Mission Gifts of Love Christmas Party at my church. Second Mile is an organization that provides food, clothing, etc to those who need it. At Christmas my church collects toys and gifts for the organization. Then, we sponsor a party where families get to come in and pick out gifts for each other so they leave with a gift for each person in the family. I enjoyed it so much! I was able to spend the morning with 2 adorable little boys (one who was about 3 years old who kept screaming "this is the best day of my life" over and over and over!), helping them pick out and wrap gifts for their mom and dad. Then we worked on some crafts, ate some cookies, and played on the moon walk. It was such a blessing to be able to minister to those families that way.

I've got something else in the works for this coming year as well, but you'll have to stay tuned for part two. There is SO much more to come!

Why am I sharing this with you? Well, because I can ... and I like to blog! haha. In all honesty, I am SO excited to see how God is going to use me in the coming months, now that I am making a conscious effort to invest my treasure in what really matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment