I was talking to someone earlier about how I had been taking my kids outside more than once to play in the snow today. Their response was, "don't you have things you need to be teaching them?"
Don't I have things I need to be teaching them? Of course! Do you know what I taught my 8 year olds today? I taught them:
- work is not the most important thing in life
- people can surprise you
- when an opportunity presents itself, you have to take it before it is too late
- no matter how old you are, you are never too old to act silly
- life is supposed to be enjoyed
- to quote the Zac Brown Band, "it's the little things in life that mean the most"
- some people will do whatever they can to make you smile
and, I taught them that I really care about each of them. I taught them that I care enough that I put their happiness and what they wanted above what "needed to get done". I taught them that their opinions matter, and that they are important to me.
So, did I teach them the 3 branches of government today? No, I didn't. But you know what? I think I taught them more than enough for one day. We'll get to the 3 branches on Monday ...
I have a friend who is an elementary school art teacher. The other day she said really her job is to teach them how to be good people through art. Sounds like ya'll have some similar ideas.
ReplyDelete