Usually around the first of December I start thinking about the coming year and what I want to accomplish. I want my resolutions to be meaningful, to be things that will add value to my life, and to be things that are actually within my reach. Success is a big key here ... I don't like to fail at things.
Each year (starting in 2004) I have written a letter to myself giving an overview of the previous year, and stating my goals for the next year. At the end of the year it's interesting to look back and see how much was accomplished before making goals for the next year. It's also interesting reading back over the old ones to see how life has changed and remember what I was like each year. 5 years ago I wrote this (5 years?!? Can we just hit pause for awhile, time is going WAY too quickly!!):
Every year I make it a goal of mine to try to be a better person than I was in the previous year ... you know, to help someone or do something that makes a difference. I mean really, it's always good to strive to be better right?
Every year since then I've tried to have that same goal, and I can honestly say this year I am ending the year a better person than I started. In fact, the word better doesn't even begin to describe the night and day difference from a year ago and today. That definitely could not be said of each of the years between then and now. This year, I'm pretty happy with the person I have started to become.
So this year, after much thought, I have landed on a few goals for the coming year (or at least a few I am willing to share publicly with you):
- volunteer at least once a month
- read through the entire bible
- try at least one new thing each month (could be as simple as a new type of food, restaurant, activity, etc)
I'm pretty happy with these goals. They are measurable, I think each one is attainable, and each will add value to my life. Each one will help me to become a better person than I was the year before, and that is the ultimate goal.
I have one more goal, which I'm not sure is entirely attainable, but I want to make it a goal anyway. It will be my, "give it my best shot" goal because it most likely will not be 100% successful, but I'm going to make the effort anyway. I am going to (attempt to) participate in Project 365. The idea is to take at least one photo every day for a year. This requires actually getting out and taking pictures, so it's really a pretty lofty goal, but I'm going to give it a shot. I think it could be really neat to look back on a years worth of photos and remember where I was and what I was doing when I took them. As an added bonus, hopefully my photography skills will improve, and I'll get more comfortable with using my new (or not so much new anymore haha) camera with the daily use.
4 years ago I wrote this, and I swear I could have written the same thing today:
Time this year sure has flown by. Sometimes I wish I could just make it stand still for awhile. Give me more time to do the things I want ... It's like you blink and a whole year has gone by.
I swear each year goes by faster than the one before! Where does the time go? I wish there was a pause button for life. There are a lot of changes in store for this coming year, and while I am excited at the prospect, I also wish I could just hit pause for awhile and soak in every minute of this life I have right now. Change can be a good thing, but there are some things I don't want to change. There are some things, and some people, that I want to stay the same forever. Nothing can stay the same forever, I know this ... I'm just not ready to let go of it all yet. And, who's to say what will happen this year ... yes, a pause button would be nice...
However, things are looking up :)
No comments:
Post a Comment