Monday, March 8, 2010

Texas Children's Hospital


Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to posting about this, but I've been busy (I sound like a broken record, I know haha). Last week was my first week volunteering at Texas Children's Hospital. I am SO excited about this volunteer position, I really think I am going to love it!

I shadowed someone last week to get a feel for the hospital and what to do. The lady I shadowed has been there 11 years, so she knew everything there was to know. The whole thing is really laid back, which I really like. Basically they have this board with cards with kids information on them. These are kids whose parents have requested someone come in or the nurse has. The card has their name, their age, and their sex. You choose a few you want to visit, dig through the closets to find some games or books that a child that age might like, then you go visit them. You can hang out with them in their room and play games and chat, or if they are able, you can take them to the play room on the floor. Some are just babies, so you just hold them (um, my personal favorite! haha). If a nurse needs help keeping a kid distracted, you can pop in help. Like I said, very laid back. The point is just to hang out with kids when the parent needs a break, or when there is no one there with them.

Tomorrow will be my first day by myself. I'm a little nervous, but I also can't wait. I'll keep you posted on how it goes (though I can't guarantee it will be any time this week haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment