Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Children make my heart smile!

8 year olds absolutely amaze me sometimes!

Yesterday, I got a new kid who speaks French and does not know a single word of English. I cannot even imagine how scared that child must be, but at the same time, I'm scared! I don't think I'm qualified to teach like this! Anyway, the kids in my class have been absolutely amazing! I know I've said it before, but I really cannot say enough how incredibly blessed I am to have the group that I do this year. They are perfect. They get along with each other, they listen, they follow directions, they are every teacher's dream. If I didn't love them enough before, I sure do now that this new child started.

Yesterday was our new friend's first day and one of my little boys immediately asked to be his buddy. I told him that it would be great if our new friend could just hang out with him all day even though our new friend would not be doing the work and would not be able to respond to him when he tried to talk to him. All day my student helped our new friend. During writing time he showed him how to write simple sight words while saying them aloud. During reading time he picked out easy readers and read each word aloud allowing our new friend to point and repeat after him. He played with him at recess, introduced him to other teachers, showed him what to do at lunch, helped him get his backpack, jacket, etc., and helped show him where everything was in the room. My student was phenomenal! It was SO incredibly helpful to me!

Today one of my little girls took it upon herself to be our new friend's teacher. While doing math he was pretty much just copying off the board and my little girl went and sat next to him to show him what to do. Step by step she said what to do out loud, then showed him. "you need 5 (holds up 5 fingers) let's count 5 (helps him count 5 manipulatives) that's 5 (holds up 5 fingers again)". Seriously, what a great little teacher! Then during science as she found each of the answers to the work in her text, she pointed out to him where the word was and where to copy it on his paper so he could complete the work as well. What a thoughtful child.

After she had helped him with a few problems he got a little more confident. We are working on two digit subtraction, which was a little above his head, but I was breaking it down into parts as we were doing them together as a class. When I asked what we needed to put in the ones place when we subtracted (and I'm pointing on the board to the subtraction problem) I watched him count it out on his fingers and then he raised his hand enthusiastically. Of course I called on him (if I can make him feel successful at ANYTHING this week I will have done my job) and he paused for a second like he was trying to think of the number in English. When he gave the correct answer my class cheered for him. They actually cheered! They were so proud of him! He had a HUGE smile on his face. That was pretty wonderful ...

I love children; I really do. If only everyone could be so accepting, thoughtful, and caring. I am so blessed to be able to spend time with these wonderful children every day. :)

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing story that you have shared, thank you. I think it is a testament to how children are accepting and how you run your class preaching encouragement. I can remember as a kid always trying to help others and some teachers would think it was a good idea and some teachers would want me to stop talking (I talked a lot). Kids teaching kids is such a great way for them to bond and create trust with each other that probably wasn't there beforehand. Hopefully your class continues to be so receptive to this child.

    ReplyDelete