Saturday, August 13, 2011

I Spy Bags

A couple years ago I got a great gift from a student that I had completely forgotten about in all the classroom moves. This parent made me an I Spy bag to use as one of my centers. An I Spy bag is simply a fabric pocket with a clear plastic window sewn in the front, that you fill with a random assortment of items for the student to find and then fill the rest of the way with poly pellets. As I was setting up my room this year I was really trying to think of some new fun things I could have available for kids to work on if they finish their work early. I found my I Spy bag and knew it would be perfect, so I whipped up a few more today to have a variety.


These are really simple to make, and I think the kids will really enjoy them. In case anyone else wants to make one, here's what to do:

1. Cut two 7 squares of fabric.
2. In one of those squares cut out a window (mine was a 5 1/2" square)
3. Cut plastic vinyl into a 6" square
4. Using a zig zag stich, sew the clear vinyl into the window of your fabric square.
5. Place right sides together and stitch around 3 1/2 sides of the square using a 1/4 seam.
6. Pull the bag through the hole to turn it right side up
7. Fill the bag with whatever items you want (make sure to either make a list or take a picture so kids will know what to look for) then fill until it's about 3/4 full of poly beads.
8. CAREFULLY sew up the remaining half side to close up the pocket.

That's it, you're done! You now have a super fun hands on i spy game kids can play quietly at their seat. This would also be a great thing to keep in the car if you had kids because it's simple, quiet, and takes time and concentration. Love these!



No comments:

Post a Comment