Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school. Last night I was a basket case worrying about how today would go. This morning I woke up at 4:30am on my own and figured why not go to the gym if I'm up. So I got to work out, shower, get dressed, and even enjoy a cup of tea before heading out the door. That was actually pretty nice, except that I was anxious the whole time.

At the end of the day I texted Tony and said, "I survived day 1!". His response cracked me up, "excellent news. I'm sure most teacher's did, but probably not all" I went on to explain that I didn't just survive, I had the most amazingly wonderful first day ever!

I wish that there were words to describe just how wonderful today was, but I seriously don't think I can even put it into words. I had 22 kids on my class roster, but had 5 no shows! I've never even had 1 no show, so this was insane! If you do the math, that's only 17 kids!! 17!!! And they are 17 of the most perfect children I have ever met!! We knew this group coming up was a group of angels because we heard it every day last year, but I had no idea what they would actually be like in the classroom. Seriously, they are amazingly perfect. They were so sweet and quiet and helpful and respectful and silly and I could just go on and on. I freaking love them already!!

At lunchtime, my team met together and we stood back and just watched the group for a second. They were quiet, and well behaved, and all doing the right things. Coleen looked at us and started to ask if ours were as good as hers and we all responded that we had almost cried first thing when we saw how great they were. Seriously, this is SUCH a change from last year's group I actually wanted to cry.

This might be the most telling of how great our day was (if you're a teacher, you'll understand). We did everything on the lesson plans, in every single subject, and even did them during our normally scheduled times. This is completely unheard of for the first day of school. You usually just watch the clock, see how much time there is, and grab something to fill that time. There was no time filling today, we just learned. It was so great!

I have a feeling it's going to be a very good year! :)

1 comment:

  1. That really is amazing that you go everything done on your lesson plans. I'm so glad you have a good class this year. It really does seem to come in cycles. I had an amazing class my 1st and 3rd year. I had a terrible class my 2nd and 4th year. I guess if I was teaching this year, it would have been a good year for me too!!

    ReplyDelete