One of these days I'm going to have to go to Academy and NOT spend a ridiculous amount of money ... that day however, was not this weekend. Saturday morning we went fishing on the boat with Sam and Gene, which prompted a trip to Bass Pro shop and Academy later in the day. Somehow this trip ended up with both me and Tony getting backpacks to use for backpack camping as well as some compact stuff to put in them. We spent Sunday loading them up with all our stuff and then hiked around the neighborhood to try it out. That's a good workout!
We made plans to go to Brazos Bend on Monday and camp but when we woke up on Monday it was pouring rain. I was SO sad! The forecast said it was going to rain until 8pm so I was pretty bummed, but around 1 the rain stopped so we were able to go after all.
When we got to Brazos Bend we set up camp then took off on a 5 mile hike with our backpacks (this is mostly just to practice for later in the summer when we go somewhere we actually have to hike to in order to camp.)
We found this great trail and followed it into the middle of nowhere. The backpack made it harder work to hike for sure, but totally do-able.
After our hike Tony made a fire, we ate dinner, roasted marshmallows, became annoyed by the people camping closest to us, and then went to bed. My new compact sleeping bag pad was amazing, it made sleeping so much more comfortable. :)
I don't know how I managed to forget my camera at home, but I did. So unfortunately all I have to document our camping trip are the above cell phone pics. Oh well, next time...
Oh, I tracked our hike using runkeeper on my phone. I didn't think to start it right away, and for some reason it stopped tracking at the end before we got back to camp (maybe I accidentally stopped it, I dunno) so it was actually a little longer than this (as I said, about 5 miles). But you can check it out here: Brazos Bend Hike
No comments:
Post a Comment