I had the greatest surprise the other day! Remember sweet M who I taught in first and second grade? Well when I told my class I was moving last summer he was one of the most heartbroken about it. After school ended he wrote me letters weekly all through the summer. I even ended up taking him out for ice cream late in the July before I left for Colorado so we could spend some time together and I could tell him goodbye. Unfortunately, in the process of moving to Colorado and back again, I lost his address and had no way to write back to him after his last letter. He has crossed my mind often this year, and I have wondered how he has been doing.
A week ago, out of the blue, I got an email from his mom. She said she had no idea if it was still my email address or not, but M had mentioned me that day and said he really missed me. He told her that his third grade teacher had told him she heard I moved back to Texas and was teaching elsewhere in the area. So, M's mom told him she would try and email me to see if I was around. I was so happy to hear from her when I got the email. I responded right away saying that yes I was back and town, and I would love to meet up with her and sweet M to catch up! In her response, in which we talked a little about details of where and when, she started by saying, "I am so glad you are back in the area. I read your email to M and he got the biggest smile on his face! I just know you are his first love...."
Every teacher wants to make a difference to the kids in her class. Every teacher wants to be remembered. This year has been so tough because I honestly have not felt like I made a difference in anyone's life. I don't think there is a single child in my class this year that will look back on me with fond memories. I've really been feeling down about this. But then, to get this email from the parent of a former student, well, I really needed that. You can't tell me I didn't make a difference in his life. You can't tell me this little boy won't remember me years from now.
I'm so excited he got back in touch with me. I cannot wait to meet up with him and his mom in a few weeks!
As much as I complained about having to move grade levels and teach the same group of kids for 3 years in a row, I have to say, it worked out to be such a positive experience. There are 4 children from Highlands that I still keep in touch with. 3 of them are students I taught for more than one year. You just can't help but form special bonds with kids like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment