First up, the story map board:
First graders LOVE sticky notes. I mean they really LOVE them! Anything automatically becomes a million times more fun if a sticky note is involved. I love this story map because the kids can be actively engaged using sticky notes. Give every kid a sticky note, and assign them a part to listen and record while you are reading. After the story you can review the story elements using the kids sticky notes. If two kids write the same thing (which they should in this instance), just stack their stickies on top of each other. Every kid is actively engaged and having fun. Love it. Here's mine:
Another fun project I found were these story element wands:
These didn't have a tutorial, just the picture, so I just figured out how to make them myself. I used some felt and a di-cut machine to cut out two large stars in each color. Then I used a smaller star di-cut and some white felt to cut the middle of each. Using a sharpie, I wrote each story element on the center piece of the wand (I made: characters, setting, problem, solution, beginning, middle, and end). First, I sewed the small star to the center of a larger star. Then, I cut a piece of quitting batting (just a small square) and placed it between the two big star layers and sewed around the edge, leaving a small space for the stick. At hobby lobby I purchased a set of wooden dowel rides, which I wrapped in glittery ribbon and hot glued inside the star. Simple, and fun.
I really think the kids are going to love using these to practice retelling the story and describing story elements. Can't wait to use them next year!



No comments:
Post a Comment