Monday, July 2, 2012

Pinterest Project: Sunbathing Towel and Pillow

Last weekend Tony, Michelle, and I planned to take a day trip down to the beach the coming Friday. A few days before, I was playing around on pinterest, and found this awesome tutorial for a beach towel with a pillow that rolls up into a tote bag.


I knew I had to make one before our beach trip at the end of the week. I made one important change from the original. In the tutorial they stuffed the pillow part and sewed it together. This seemed like it would make washing it extremely difficult. So instead, I bought a full size pillow (on sale at Target for $4!) and made a pocket with velcro to slide it in. Now when I want to wash the towel I just slide the pillow out and throw the thing in the washing machine.



This project was really simple. You don't have to measure anything and the sewing does not have to be perfect. Check out the link above for the tutorial if you are interested in making one (though I highly recommend making the pillow part a velcro pocket instead of stitching it closed for ease of use). I used mine at the beach yesterday and it worked wonderfully! With the added length the pillow portion adds, my feet no longer hang off the end of the towel when I lay down on it. It was so much more comfortable to lay on a long towel with a pillow than the regular beach towel. Michelle was jealous of how awesome it turned out, so we've decided to make her one during our craft day next Tuesday (we'll be making a number of pinterest projects that day so stay tuned). I just love how this turned out. It took about 30 minutes from start to finish and I have a great beach towel for laying out. yay!

another pinterest win!

No comments:

Post a Comment