Summer is in full swing and I am greatly enjoying my time off from work. Since my sweet boys moved to London about a month ago, I am not working this summer. I thought I would be miserably bored, but I have found the break has actually been wonderful.
With all this time off, I have plenty of time to play on pinterest (my latest obsession). I've already made something like 15 projects for my classroom next year. As some of you may know, not everything you see on pinterest turns out exactly like it looks when you make it haha. Sidenote: one of my new favorite blogs to read is _______. She blogs about different projects she tries from pinterest that turn out as total failures. It's sort of hilarious if you are bored and want to check it out. Anyway, since I've been trying out projects and tricks learned from pinterest I thought I might blog about some of the successes (and failures, though I haven't had a major failure yet).
First up: my new weekly menu planning board. Here is the original I saw on pinterest:
This looked like something cute and simple that could actually be used in my house. I am really trying to be more diligent about menu planning each week so we end up eating less fast food and I can better budget money for weekly meals. The only problem I have is I tend to forget half of the yummy meals we have had before. My solution: this menu board. I color coded the cards by different types of meals, soups/stews, pasta dishes, casseroles, meat dishes, and misc. I have also marked them with symbols to show healthy meals and crockpot meals. This way I can plan a variety of meals each week. To use this, all I have to do is flip through the meal cards and clip my choices next to each day of the week. Another great thing about this, is on the back of each card I have listed the ingredients needed for that meal. That way when I plan my weekly meals, to make my grocery list, all I have to do is flip each card over and record what I need from the store. Easy!
The original I saw was thin and could be clipped to the fridge. I wasn't such a fan of that idea because things are forever falling off my fridge if it bumps the wall at a weird angle. Instead, I found these great wooden plaques at hobby lobby for just a couple dollars. I used a cute piece of scrap paper and some modge podge to add color, then glued on mini clothespins for each day of the week. This fits perfectly in a cookbook stand and doubles as a cute kitchen decoration. One change I'll probably have to make soon is adding bigger pockets for meals. For now, all the meals we have made and eat regularly fit in the small pockets, but as we try more meals I'll need a bigger space to keep them like the original.
There you have it, my weekly menu board. Pinterest win. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment