Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Road Trip to Denver

Well, I made it to Colorado.

Saturday morning Tony and I set out for our 10 hour drive to Wichita. I don't know what I would have done if Tony hadn't gone with me. I was a crying mess for the first hour of the trip, so thankfully I didn't have to drive. After I got over the shock of actually leaving with no plans to come back, I was fine and really enjoyed our drive together.

As I said, the first day we drove 10 hours to Wichita. We pretty much drove straight through, only stopping for gas, and once to eat. We stopped in Denton at a Dairy Queen and it was pretty sketchy. We are both convinced it was not an actual Dairy Queen, just a place that used to be owned by DQ and is still using their menu etc. The people there didn't have any type of uniform and the food came in generic styrofome boxes haha. After checking into our hotel for the night we drove around Wichita to see the city and have some dinner.

Sunday we woke up and drove the final 8 hours to Denver. I usually do very poorly during long drives. I get antsy very quickly and just want to get out of the car. This entire trip went by so quickly though! I attribute that to Tony being there and enjoying talking with him the whole way. At one point we stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and when we were getting back in the car, I kid you not, I saw a man lead a horse out of the back of his van. A van! It was the funniest thing I had seen and Tony and I laughed forever!

When we finally made it to Denver we went to dinner with my dad, Davis, and Heather so that was fun. I think I was a little in shock that I was actually here, and upon seeing all my stuff in my room here, and knowing that Tony was leaving first thing the next morning, I sort of panicked and got sad. Shortly after Tony mentioned that he wished he could stay an extra day and see the city etc and my dad was able to change his flight for free. I perked up after that!

It was so great to have him stay with me my first day here! We walked around downtown, ate lunch, drove up to Boulder to see the school etc. Seriously, I couldn't ask for a better friend. He made the transition here so much easier.

Yesterday morning his flight was at 6:25. We were going to wake up at 4:30 to get to the airport on time. My first alarm went off at 4:20 and stirred me awake. Not a minute later I heard a noise and a light went on. I freaked out (my dad is out of town)! I woke Tony up and we tried to figure out what was going on. Upon further investigation, we heard the shower was on. Finally I just knocked on the door to see who was there. It was Davis! They are fixing his shower at his place but he forgot about it so he wasn't able to warn us he'd be coming. Scared the crap out of me!! Anyway, I dropped Tony off at the airport and shed rivers and rivers of tears. I'm going to miss that boy like crazy! :( Being the wonderful friend he is, he talked to me on and off throughout the day and we talked on the phone for a long time last night. I almost forgot that he was so far away.

I'm going to like it here. And I'm pretty convinced I will not be forgotten after all, so life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment