Yesterday I had, hands down, the funniest phone call of my life ...
Yesterday was parent teacher conference day and I had a list of parents that requested phone conferences. I dialed the first number and the student's grandmother answered the phone. She didn't speak a word of english (they are middleastern so I didn't know a word of their language either).
Grandmother: hello??
Me: Hi this is Ms. McCormack calling from JSES. May I please speak to *Susie's mother or father?
Grandmother: hello
Me: um, this is Susie's teacher ....
Grandmother: TEACHER TEACHER TEACHER (screaming!)
Me: May I please speak to Susie's mother or father?
Grandma: TEACHER TEACHER TEACHER
the grandmother then pulls the phone slightly away from her mouth and starts screaming across the house in their home language. I can hear the mother screaming back. This goes on for a good 5 minutes back and forth. Finally, a new voice picks up:
Mother: hello
Me: Hi this is Ms. McCormack, Susie's teacher, calling from JSES
Mother: hello
Grandmother (still on the line): TEACHER TEACHER TEACHER
Me: Ma'am, can you hear me?
Mother: hello. hello. hello
Grandmother: TEACHER TEACHER TEACHER TEACHER
at this point I'm not sure what to do. Obviously there is a complete language barrier here but I can't just hang up the phone on them, yet I can't tell them goodbye either. Then, a third voice picks up the phone:
Susie: hello?
Me: Oh, hi Susie.
Susie: hi Ms. McCormack. I'm so sorry, but my mom doesn't know English. She doesn't know what you are saying.
Mother (still on the line): hello. hello.
Grandmother (also still on the line): TEACHER TEACHER
Me: That's okay Susie. Does your dad speak English?
Susie: Yes, but he's at work right now. He won't get home until about 5:00
Me: okay, thanks sweetie. I was just calling to tell your mom and dad what a great job you are doing in my class.
Susie: Thank's Ms. McCormack. I'll see you at school tomorrow.
Mother: hello hello
Grandmother: TEACHER
Me: see you tomorrow Susie. Have a great day.
When I hung up the phone I literally cried I was laughing so hard. This seriously could have been on the show punk'd hahaha! Thank goodness my student picked up. What an adorable girl she is and so smart!
*names have been changed
I'm still laughing when I think about how this phone call went. Completely ridiculous.
Ha that is HILARIOUS. One thing I do NOT miss about teaching is conferences!!!
ReplyDeleteI updated my meal planning monday and linked to my recipe. It's a Pioneer Woman recipe, but SOOOOOOO easy. I always double the recipe then divide the filling in 4 foil circle pie pans. when I'm ready to have it for dinner I just thaw it out and put a Pillsbury pie crust on it!! So easy. WE are actually having it tonight because I didn't have time to go to the store to buy stuff for what was actually on our meal plan for Monday. Enjoy!!