So far everything is going really well. I really love how the school is brand new (only opened last year) so everything is SO nice! Nice furniture, technology, etc. I have a projector in my room that is hooked up to the computer which we can use to watch United Streaming, and I have an elmo instead of an overhead. I LOVE it! Oh, and the whiteboards ... SO much better than chalk. I hate the feeling of chalk on my hands haha. It's the little things. Plus, my classroom is HUGE. I mean it is at least twice the size of my rooms the past 3 years. AND one wall is painted green. It's so pretty (I have a thing for accent walls)!
My team is awesome! My team leader is so on top of things and such a good teacher, and there are two girls just about my age on the team which is so nice as well. I enjoy being around all of them and they seem to have similar teaching styles to me. We plan everything together every week (no more winging it because I don't have a clue what I'm doing) and as an added plus I have found they do a lot of the same things I did at Highlands in first grade, so I'm really comfortable with it.
I have 22 kids in my class, 13 girls and 9 boys. I have some REALLY sweet ones! I do love first graders! I had forgotten how little they know though, so the first few days were really a shock. I'm getting back into the swing of things though and the days are going much smoother.
I couldn't be happier with how things have turned out :)
Sounds great Kerri! Do teachers use the same methods of learning that we had back when we were in 1st grade, or is there a new school of thought on teaching these days? I bet the fact that you have more girls than boys makes for a much calmer classroom. First grade is a fun age!
ReplyDelete